Three myths and unrealistic expectations of buyers from LIC’s IPO


The much-awaited Preliminary Public Providing (IPO) of Life Insurance coverage Company of India has just lately acquired approval from the capital markets regulator, Securities and Change Board of India (SEBI). All eyes at the moment are on the opening and shutting dates of the IPO as many individuals have positioned excessive expectations from this IPO, a few of which can be incorrect.

Actually, there was a flood of misinformation about LIC’s IPO and its prospects.

large revenue

Praveen Gautam (34) hails from Giridih in Rock district of Jharkhand and works as a taxi driver in Mumbai. Final month, he opened a demat account to spend money on the proposed LIC IPO. He hoped to earn sufficient cash to begin his personal cab service enterprise.

Turning into a driver is a really tiring job and provides restricted revenue. A pal of mine has recommended me to spend money on LIC’s IPO as it could possibly assist me earn good cash. I’ll purchase my automobile with it and begin my very own cab service,” says Gautam, who hopes to earn Rs 10 lakh from the IPO.

Whereas his dream of being an entrepreneur is lifelike, it’s not anticipated that income from LIC IPO will probably be sufficient to begin a small enterprise.

Gautam shouldn’t be alone in having unrealistic expectations. Santosh Mishra (30) safety supervisor at a residential complicated in Mumbai is curious to know the date of LIC IPO launch. It’s extremely unlikely that the IPO will hit the highway within the monetary 12 months 2021-22 ending March, given the geopolitical situation.

How lengthy can somebody keep away from their household? If I get good cash from LIC’s IPO, I’ll begin one thing by myself in my hometown,” says Mishra, who hails from Prayagraj in Uttar Pradesh.

Allow us to perceive this by way of numbers. As per SEBI norms, as much as Rs 2 lakh will be invested within the retail class.

If one invests Rs 2 lakh and allots shares for the whole quantity, the LIC IPO should be listed at 5 occasions the provide value to achieve Gautam’s goal of Rs 10 lakh.

No insurance coverage firm in India has seen such a bumper itemizing until date.

Moreover, there is no such thing as a assure that the purchasers will get the share allotment for the whole quantity invested within the IPO.

Authorities laws that hinder LIC’s IPO

Policyholders will profit significantly

One other issue that’s at play is that LIC policyholders may have an edge. Mishra is bound that he’ll get the subscription as he has an LIC insurance coverage coverage.

“My insurance coverage agent instructed me that I’ll undoubtedly get (IPO subscription) as a result of I’ve one coverage and I’ll discover it cheaper than others,” says Mishra.

To an extent that is additionally true. LIC’s draft purple herring prospectus (DRHP) mentions exemptions to its buyers, however the quantum of exemption is but to be determined. Additionally, there is no such thing as a assure that each one policyholders will get the IPO subscription if they’re oversubscribed.

Massive firm, large reward

Some consider that the dimensions of LIC can reward buyers effectively, particularly when it has crores of unclaimed cash mendacity round.

“LIC has 1000’s of crores of unclaimed cash mendacity with LIC. The place will that cash go? LIC will share the cash with its buyers,” says Sankalp Pandey (30), a college trainer from Chhattisgarh’s Bilaspur.

It’s true that LIC holds a big chunk of unclaimed cash, however it’s not for the buyers however for the policyholders.

To an extent, Pandey’s expectation that LIC will share extra surplus with the shareholders is appropriate. LIC has amended its guidelines governing the distribution of surplus to shareholders and policyholders. Previous to this alteration, LIC shared 95 per cent of its collaborating (par) surplus with policyholders, leaving solely 5 per cent for shareholders. Additionally, LIC used to function just one pool known as “Life Fund”. All that has modified now. LIC will now share the whole non-par policyholder’s surplus with the shareholders. It can enhance shareholder allocation to the identical class surplus from 5% to 7.5% in FY 2013 and FY24 and at last to 10% in FY15 and onwards. New shareholders will profit from these modifications.

Extreme expectation can shatter your goals. Go to this place to satisfy your goals with lifelike expectations.



Supply hyperlink